You could take a look at the Hippo blog project, (follow the README)
http://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/experimental/hippo-blog/trunk
It is composed of a customized CMS and a site web-application.

The cms has the blog document types added as an additional jar to the
standard packaged cms war.  The frontend is built with the Hippo site
toolkit, http://www.onehippo.org/site-toolkit, using jsp for the
rendering.  (yes, I would love to see a wicket frontend there too!)

The console should make clear what I've hinted to in this thread.
Plugins are configured with nodes in the (jcr) repository, and they are
started and stopped in groups/clusters.
(see /hippo:configuration/hippo:frontend/cms)

It is useful to think of plugins as units of configuration; if a plugin
is evolving to the point where its configuration becomes intimidating,
it's about time to break the plugin up into parts.  Conversely, if a set
of plugins needs to be kept closely in sync with their configuration,
they probably aren't as independent as you would like and you're better
off coding it in java.

Coming back to an earlier post: I don't see the "web-application
builder" happening though; the one where you never need to touch code.
An interesting application will have many components with complex
interactions, by definition.  Of course, one should decouple as many
components as possible and make the way they work and hang together
configurable.  But the complexity of an application flow is still there
and you have to express it either in configuration or in code.  I think
we can all agree that code works better here, or we wouldn't be using
Wicket!

thanks for the interest!
cheers, Frank