again thx to all the people so helpful on this mailing list!! this fact was
an important argument to  convince my customer to take wicket into account!

i migrated a little part of our old struts1 app  to both seam/jsf and
seam/wicket to compare the performance degradation when going from naked
struts to a component oriented framework;

jsf managed to serve 20 pages per second, wicket was the clear winner with
100 pages / second!
see my comment on
http://ptrthomas.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/seam-jsf-vs-wicket-performance-comparison/#comment-13386

wicket is really great in providing high level web development without
sacrificing performance!!

cheers, uwe!