Hi all. I am evaluating Wicket for our company and also have the same
question.

There are cases when iframes work just fine (even better), but other cases
when an in-DOM solution is needed. For example, if the app needs to display
something like a fly-out or simulated pop-up outside the screen space of the
app, the boundary of the iframe prevents such UI elements from going outside
the iframe.

Naturally, apps running in such a way would have constraints because they're
sharing the DOM, JS and CSS with other apps (e.g., like a portal page). But
it would add flexibility to Wicket.

-Randy S.