Igor,

I'd say your

"HomePage[style_variation]_US_en.html that way a style only version can be
HomePage[style]_US_en.html and variation only would be
HomePage[_variation]_US_en.html we can then forbid the use of _ in style and
variation names. "

is the best option (so far). There are no special rules or empty brakets
unless you choose to use Wicket specific features (style and variation).
And, it somehow looks less ugly than some of the other suggestions,
especially mine!

Thanks for the example use-case; I expect someone, somewhere out there is
making good use of "variations".

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.com jWeekend

igor.vaynberg wrote:

> i dont like the fact that there is now a -, (, ), and _ in the name
>
> i can live with something like HomePage()(variation)_US_en.html vs
>
> HomePage()(variation)(US_en)
>
> maybe even simpler would be do
>
> HomePage[style_variation]_US_en.html
>
> that way a style only version can be HomePage[style]_US_en.html
>
> and variation only would be HomePage[_variation]_US_en.html
>
> we can then forbid the use of _ in style and variation names.
>
> its a little more complex but avoids an empty [] or () to indicate
> variation only markup.
>
> I still think that HomePage[][variation][US_en].html does look cleaner
> and simpler then
>
> HomePage[][variation]_US_en.html or HomePage[_variation]_US_en.html
>
> because in HomePage[][variation][US_en] you only have to know [] as
> separators.
>

> the usecases for variations vary. suppose your application is divided
> in two frames and the user can select the color scheme for both.
> having a single value for style wont work here, it has to be per
> component.
>
> -igor
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM, jWeekend <jweekend_for...@cabouge.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Igor,
>>
>> In Java, variant is the least significant component(s) of a locale:
>> lang_COUNTRY_variant  .
>>
>> Wicket adds style and variation (right?) so maybe only these components
>> of
>> the filename should have a special marker. That way, some level of
>> consistentcy is maintained and the Wicket specific style & variation are
>> clearly identifiable.
>> So, for example, HomePage-aStyle(aVariation)_th_TH_TH.html   - in this
>> example you'd need to double check that dash and the parenthesis can be
>> used
>> in file names on all relevant filesystems (you could even make the
>> markers
>> configurable I suppose in Application#init and/or using system properties
>> ...). Of course it's not pretty; at the end of the day, your stuck with
>> character strings so you can't stop people confusing themselves (and
>> maybe
>> Wicket too) with funky file names using these "special" characters.
>>
>> The javadoc says: Whereas Styles are Session (user) specific, variations
>> are
>> component specific. E.g. if the Style is "ocean" and the Variation is
>> "NorthSea", than the resources are given the names suffixed with
>> "_ocean_NorthSea".
>>
>> Is there a standard use-case where the solution involves using variation
>> (that's in keeping with the original intent)?
>>
>> Regards - Cemal
>> http://jWeekend.com jWeekend
>>

>> igor.vaynberg wrote:
>>>
>>> yeah, not to mention it might get quiet ugly
>>>
>>> mypanel_style.html
>>> mypanel_style__variant.html