On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 16:56 -0700, Victor Igumnov wrote:
> I wrote a memcached session manager store for jetty, that our wicket
> app utilizes. Works well, except I can't open source it,
> since it was created on the company's dime ;-(
Well, most interesting things are not so simple to realize that one can
do it in its spare time. But the good point is that we can do such
interesting things in our job :)

> Here is my opinion on memcached as a session store.
>
> Memcached will not work well as a wicket session store, due to 1mb
> size limits.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of this restriction (I still need to read
more about this for details). So one is forced to handle resources
eating much memory (e.g. fileupload) not via session, which is the case
even without this 1 mb  size limit :)

Do you have a case where this limit is important especially for wicket?

> You honestly don't want to serialize anything past 100kb
> in size due to performance reasons.
Right.

> That said,  It works best if you
> use memcached as a container httpsessionstore with the wicket
> secondlevelcache diskpagestore. The only thing you need to serialize
> is the last pagemap which should only be 50kb in size max. You still
> get fail over since the last page map is distributed.
And I have to read about page maps (I'm really new to wicket as you
see :)). AFAIK page maps store a configurable numer of versioned pages
for back-button support and versioned pages.

> One thing you need to be careful with is not referencing anything that
> got stored on disk from your active pagemap, it will spiral into a
> stack overflow.

Thanx! We would need to setup tests to be sure that this won't happen.

Thanx for your input,
cheers,
Martin