On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:31:47PM -0500, Luther Baker wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> Let me take this one step farther, just to clarify.
>
> I know that in a standard web application, the web container can Serialize
> user HttpSessions such that one can shut an application down and upon
> bringing it back up, HttpSession state is restored and, for instance, a user
> might not have to log back in.

Yep. In my development environment (Tomcat) I can often restart without
losing my session.

> This functionality required us to implement Serializable for anything we
> wanted to store in a user's HttpSession. From your response, is it safe to
> say that Wicket doesn't use the HttpSession that way

No, it's not safe to say :-). Wicket does indeed serialize pages and
puts them in the session.

> - or at least, doesn't
> store all these pages and their contents out to Session such that there is
> no requirement from Wicket to use a valid, unique serial id for all these
> anonymous classes?
>
> Including the PageStore or anything else native to Wicket internals?
>
> Is there anything, whatsoever that Wicket or Java webapps would require
> proper serial ids for?
>
> -Luther

You don't need a serialVersionUID for serialization to work (and
certainly not a unique one, or your plan for using 1L wouldn't very
well).

jk