Yah, i used to always add it just for completeness, but I quickly realized its just a bunch of YAGNI junk i don't need cluttering up my code.
Now i just turn it off.

- Brill Pappin

On 11-Apr-09, at 11:14 PM, Jim Pinkham wrote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the runtime cost of computing a default serialversionid which is avoided if a constant is supplied. I used to make
it a habit for this reason.

This thread made me curious if that was really true, so I googled a bit and found this article<http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2003-06/02-qa-0627-mythser.html >which
found no such benefit, and suggests we needn't bother.  I think I'll
turn off the Eclipse warning instead.

-- Jim.