I've setup and used this approach with success as well ...
public class ChildPage extends MasterLayoutPage
{
    public ChildPage()
    {
       super(new Model ...);
    }

One interesting factoid ... depending on how you actually mark this up,
DEVELOPMENT mode can look a bit screwy. It is my experience that the wicket
markup tags actually render in the title bar. I believe that was one problem
I had with using something like

    <title><wicket:message.../></title>

-Luther