you can ask wicket to figure out if the browser supports javascript or not, see

getApplication().getRequestCycleSettings().setGatherExtendedBrowserInfo()

the way the fallback button works is that it is a regular button and
we use javascript to override the default behavior - thus if no
javascript is there then nothing is overridden and the button works
like a regular button instead of ajax.

-igor