From: Jeremy Thomerson <jer...@wickettraining.com>

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:54:47
To: <users@wicket.apache.org>
Subject: [OFF TOPIC] Java desktop applications

I would like to build a nice-looking java desktop application.  I hope
that isn't an oxymoron  :).  I have built some desktop apps before - a
lot of command line utilities in various languages, and some GUI apps
(perl, java, python, php, even vb (yikes!), c# etc...).

The question is - what framework do you use for your UI components and
layout on a desktop app?  I would like to use Java because I'll be
most efficient with it and it will work for me on linux machines and
others on Windoze, etc..  But when I've built Swing apps in the past,
I have hated having to layout everything in the code and I can never
make anything aesthetically pleasing.  So....

1 - do you have any recommendations on a good framework for nice
looking desktop apps?
2 - any other recommendations for desktop apps in general?
3 - It should be a lightweight, easy install - and I would prefer to
stay away from using the Eclipse framework for building the app (I use
the IDE but it doesn't need to be something that heavy for the GUI)
4 - I have even thought about building an app that opens a swing
window that contains an embedded browser and jetty servlet running the
app so that I can use Wicket.  Has anyone thought of or done this
before?

Basically, it's a CRUD application, but containing personal data that
the user should not store on someone else's server.  I would use an
embedded database that stores the data with encryption.

Ideas?

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com