Dane,

I have used JDev and it is not my preference for a Java IDE.  That
said, if you're having trouble with it your best resource is posting
at forums.oracle.com.  As for a PL/SQL IDE, why are you moving away
from TOAD, the price ($600 if I remember right...)?  The product
"PL/SQL Developer" from All Around Automations is a terrific product
for more like $180.  I have used it extensively and can vouch for it.

http://www.allroundautomations.com/

Alternately, there is a PL/SQL IDE from Oracle called "SQL Developer"
(formerly Project Raptor).  It is an entirely usable product and it's
free.  I use this on my Mac at home because it's just Java.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/files/what_is_sqldev.html

I don't see why you would need to use the same IDE for Java & PL/SQL.
I never have.

Scott