I cleared all cache and it still wasn't prompting the modal window.
What I did do was go and "reset" IE8 by going to tools -> Internet Options
-> Advanced tab and pressing the "Reset" button.  Apparently this
makes it "just like a fresh install" and that fixed it!

Don't ask me why clearing the cache didn't do it but that did, unless
clearing the cache and closing the browser really doesn't clear
the cache completely.  I did uncheck the "Preserve Favorites website data"
in the Delete Browsing History dialog.

Anyway, thanks Matej!  I appreciate your help.