its a matter of building a simple cache. all  you need is a servlet
that can check if the image is on disk and if not download it, then
serve it from there

mount the servlet on /external and rewrite your urls to be
/external?url=<imageurl>

there are probably already things like this for apache, you just have
to rewrite the url so it passes through your site and doesnt go
directly to the external one.

-igor