Hi,

I have an AjaxFallbackDefaultDataTable on the main page of my Wicket
app with an image column like this:

        columns.add(new ImagePropertyColumn(new ResourceModel("imageURL"),
"imageURL"));

My item model has an imageURL string property backed by a database
column, and it pretty much works OK.

I don't need to store any images, bandwidth is low, and it's simple,
but I have seen some users enter URLs to huge TIFF images that are not
properly sized, and it makes my page display take forever.   I'd like
to try to fix or prevent this.

I had a few ideas:

1. a note on the item entry page asking users to 'please don't do that'.   :)
2. add an ImageURLValidator to check the image size.... somehow... hmmm...
3. find some utility to help read the image, properly size it, and
store a local copy with my own id (filesystem should work fine)
and let my model's imageURL property point to it.

I'm trying to write this so it could scale up a bit without getting
crazy - This app lists items for a charity fundraising auction event,
so access is light for several weeks, then peaks at about 300 hits per
day (I know, not much) for a few days.  But on those peak days, I'd
like it to be fast (despite the decrepit old server it's running on).

I've got about 300 items to show on a single page (users prefer a
simple scrollbar without pagination).   Also, I should mention that I
have a search form that 'decorates' the matching text as it filters
rows, and I'd like to make it fast enough to take away the search
button and just ajax refresh on keypresses.

Thanks for any suggestions, links to examples ...etc.
-- Jim.

http://firstuucolumbus.org/auction