> >> this contract is not factored out anywhere, but maybe doing so may
be
> >> worthwhile. can be part of your patch, something like
> >> ComponentResolvers.resolve(MarkupContainer parent, ....)

Yes looks like this code in MarkupContainer.renderNext would need to be
factored out:

        // 3rd try: Try application's component resolvers
        final List<IComponentResolver> componentResolvers =
                getApplication().getPageSettings()
                .getComponentResolvers();
        final Iterator<IComponentResolver> iterator =
                componentResolvers.iterator();
        while (iterator.hasNext())
        {
                final IComponentResolver resolver = iterator.next();
                if (resolver.resolve(this, markupStream, tag))
                {
                        return;

I also had a similar problem with wicket:border - maybe it has the same
problem of not providing an opportunity for the component resolvers to
resolve the markup's 'child' components.

This issue may affect other 'enclosing' type wicket tags as well. Maybe
it really needs someone who knows more about wicket than me to refactor
it properly and provide the necessary hooks so that component resolvers
are invoked in the right places.