I tried JBoss JBPM and it worked for complex compound workflows. It also had
a eclipse designer plugin that could save the workflow image and provided a
class that visualised the current workflow state.

It had persistence module that was based on Hibernate. I had just to
implement simple UI to present a user with workflows and tasks.

I believe user can stay unaware about how complex is the workflow and
whether it is compound.