Imho, there is not an "universal" fast and easy way. We are migrating a
mid-sized client-server system which has a fairly big number of rather
complex queries already written as stored procedures.
    So our fast and easy way is to use code generation to get JDBC based
DAOs that wrap the stored procs call. We even keep writing stored procs for
new requirements, all our devs know SQL well and I don't believe we will
gain anything by using Hibernate instead.
    If you are starting from scratch by modeling the domain as java classes,
then I guess ORM would be your best choice, but can't give you hints on what
specific tool would be best for you.

Cheers,

Daniel