This is an example of a requirement that often pops up where I work:
let's say the system registers sales, there are an average 5K orders a day
and each sale has an average 3 items. Items have a category. I'm required to
produce a listing of daily sales grouped by category, with a daily total. In
each row I'm required to provide the same data for the same day of the
previous year. The listing must be produced for any given pair of start and
end dates.
    I don't believe a file system serialization based persistence mechanism
will do well for a requirement like this, although I must admit I never
tried that before. Can you give me a clue of a comparison it to an old
fashioned relational database please ?

Cheers,

Daniel