Netbeans has maven built in but it will use an external installation if you
tell it to. It sounds like you have it configured to use an external maven
installation but don't have maven installed.

In Netbeans go to Tools>Options>Misc>Maven and see if you have set it up to
use an external maven

Then either install maven and point Netbeans to it or use the built in maven