Hi!

Can a wicket component be rendered to string in the following use case:

1. I have a table (multiple columns and rows). Each row corresponds to
a person. The columns could represent for rexample a calendar for the
person. Monda, tuesday, etc.

2. For each row, I have summary information. I have a SummaryPanel
that can show this information at the footer of the table.

3. In addition to the footer, I would like to show the SummaryPanel
contents as a tooltip.

4. I would like to attach the tooltip onto an icon in each column for
each row (tooltip content different for different rows, same for
different columns on the same row).

5. Ideally I would do like this:
populateitem(ListItem item) {
  item.add(new Tooltip("tooltip", new AbstractReadOnlyModel<String>()
{ public String getObject() {  RenderUtils.renderToString(new
SummaryPanel("dummy-id"))  } });
}

I.e., I need to render a panel to a string during an ongoing render.

I have found an example for rendering a wicket PAGE
*
http://www.danwalmsley.com/2008/10/21/render-a-wicket-page-to-a-string-for-html-email/

Note: I need to render just a panel; so I would rather not frame it with a page.

Furthermore, I have found an example about rendering using a new request cycle:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/users@wicket.apache.org/msg22167.html

But in my understanding this cannot be done if an ongoing request is
being processed?

**
Martin