I do agree Eclipse buddy system in not proper OSGi, but it makes a lot
easier to develop applications because

1- Your application, components, etc, will be same as in any normal Wicket
application (no changes to are needed)
2- If you find out OSGi is not suitable at the end, you can always build the
same application dropping OSGi and using the same (component) factory
services. You will loose hot pluggability and that's it.

I never hit serialization limitation myself. On the  other hand, I do know
from experience that  integrating with certain application servers (using
bridge approach) can be challenging. This is also something to take into
account before deciding to use osgi.

I think Igor is totally right about the things you should weight in deciding
whether to use OSGi or not for a project. OSGi is a way to
achieve pluggability but not the only one.

Best,

Ernesto