For starters, I'd try to eliminate possible causes. E.g. make sure the model
change is seen from QuestionEditPanel. A way to do this is either run your
app in a debugger and set some checkpoints around onRender and/or
onBeforeRender, or simply override onBeforeRender() and log the model
contents.

Since we don't see what kind of model your templatewebmodel is, it could
also be that this class is caching its value.

Bas