The gae security restriction looks pointless because
Objects.cloneModel is just using a ByteArrayOutputStream (why should
there be restrictions on that?) but because the Objects calls are all
static I can't override the method with a working clone method also
because the OrderByLink.sort method is final I can't fix there either.

As a workaround for any one who is interested, it looks like
cloneModel is only used in this case if the component is versioned so
I set called setVersion(false) on the orderByLink and it avoids this
problem area.