Thanks Pedro,

Hope it helps. From your answer looks like we may have a slightly
different problem with the same cause. Looks like the cloneModel()
method is depended on from a couple of spots but it all related to
versioning of components. Ideally it would be good if we could just
replace the implementation of cloneModel with one that works on GAE.
Anyway I'll stick with this for now till it comes and bites me again.

regards,
Lionel