I'd suggest adapting your application to use Wicket properly instead
of the other way around. I'm not a Wicket Dev but I'm pretty sure that
desynchronizing page map access will cause more problems than it
solves.

Your problem is that Page A displays data which can take a lot of time
to gather due to polling an external system. So use this scenario.

1) Upon load, Page A starts a thread that fetches the information, and
displays a placeholder (a "loading" image or something like that).
Once the page is loaded your thread will be running and the pagemap
unlocked.
2) Use Ajax polling (in the way I suggested) to check if the thread
has finished. This will not lock the pagemap so you are free to
navigate the site. Once the thread is finished, you can replace the
placeholder from step 1 with the actual panel

Alternatively, you could use a push solution (e.g. wicketstuff-push)
to automatically publish the data upon thread completion (or append it
as the data comes in).

2010/1/21 Carlo Camerino <carlo.camer...@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> i believe this is due to the fact that wicket has synchronized page maps for
> access.
>
> do you think it is safe to remove it?
> what are the precautions when removing synchronized for wicket page maps?
>
> Is there a setting that I could use to disable this?
>
> Thanks A Lot
>
> Carlo
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Jeroen Steenbeeke <j.steenbeeke.ml@
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest running the transaction in the background (separate
>> thread) and using an AjaxStoppableSelfUpdatingTimer to periodically
>> check if the thread was finished and only do the redirect after
>> finishing. This way, the pagemap remains unlocked.
>>
>> 2010/1/21 Carlo Camerino <carlo.camer...@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > if any of you could help, we have a problem in one of our wicket
>> > installations. We have a system that connects to another system.
>> Sometimes
>> > the system's reply lasts for more than a minute.
>> > Wicket is having problem with regards to the page map being locked.
>> >
>> > I click for example on a page to request for a balance, the host doesn't
>> > return anymessage for about 1 minute or more.
>> >
>> > So instead of waiting, i will try to move to another page, problem is...
>> > can't switch pages..... wicket seems to have locked the page map and i
>> can't
>> > get out or even logout.
>> >
>> > After  a minute, an exception is thrown saying that the page map may have
>> > been locked for more than 1 minute
>> >
>> > is there any way around this?
>> >
>> > Thanks A Lot
>> > Carlo