Andreas,

I'm glad you nailed down what was going on -- that being said, can you just
issue a .stop() on the timer on the first callback? So you get your 1
update, then the timer gets killed off and you are good to go?

Don't know that much about the Ajax Data Table, otherwise I would recommend
something way smarter :)

-R