Thank you for your post Dave. I was having the same problem for a couple of
days until I found your post. The funny think is that one may expect Wicket
to use a different markup id if no id is defined in the markup and
setOutputMarkupId(true) is invoked on the component. However it still fails
and an explicit id (other than id="id") is required, at least in Wicket
1.3.5.