Id vote for this one:

modify the trunk
first for 1.4.7 fix the incompatibilities if there are, and then release
it as 1.4.7 and make trunk to follow 1.4-SNAPSHOT?

And if you like sonar, it's opensource and requires almost no setup it
has a fluent plugin with maven. For example theres a pretty good
integration between hudson, I could'nt find one for team city though
:/ But in theory it's just running the mvn command sonar:sonar..