I think this sounds good, and meshes with the comments several other people have made. So I think we're converging on a general agreement for a process. Documenting it on the wiki would be great.

If there are no objections, I can take the first step in this process, which would seem to be setting wicketstuff-core's dependency to wicket 1.4.7, and then asking people to test it. We should probably set a date by which we ask people to test out the modules they use -- otherwise if no issues are reported we won't know when to declare the testing period over and actually do the release.

How do people feel about the other dependencies in there (jetty, slf4j, etc)? Should we just as a matter of course re-point those to the latest stable versions when we do a version bump of wicket and are heading into a round of testing?

Bng

Michael O'Cleirigh wrote:
Hello,

I'd like the trunk to follow the latest wicket release since when wicketstuff-core is released it is meant to be paired with the current wicket release. i.e. not 1.4-SNAPSHOT but 1.4.7, 1.4.8, 1.4.9 and eventually into 1.5RC1, etc.

Envisioned Process for 1.4.8 Wicket Release:
1. wicket releases new version 1.4.8
2. wicketstuff-core pom is updated for 1.4.8
3. organized testing and vote on release.
4. release (non SNAPSHOT) artifacts are generated and pushed into maven and a svn:/tags/wicketstuff-core-1.4.8 tag is created 5. trunk pom's are changed back to wicketstuff-core version of 1.4-SNAPSHOT

I think we should only cut one release per wicket main release and any other changes just go automatically into the 1.4-SNAPSHOT releases that are generated when a developer commits. If a user needs new features in the gap between releases they can just get the SNAPSHOT releases.

+1 for creating a svn:/branches/wicketstuff-core-1.4 when trunk switches to the 1.5 RC's. We can then support two release lines but everying is tied to wicket main releases. When wicket end of life's the 1.4.x line there will be no more releases just snapshots. Also there should be no developer requirement to sync the 1.4 and 1.5 branch project contents (i.e. supporting two lines) just maintenance on 1.4 branch and new development on trunk.

+1 on creating wicketstuff-core jira to coordinate release process.

+1 on creating a wicketstuff-core/wicketstuff-test module to share testing code between core projects.

+1 on running integration tests to find run-time issues before release on the generated project artifacts (i.e. like selenium through maven integration-test phase). I know this is hard but maybe a special profile in the pom to allow these extended quality checks to be run outside of a continuous integration environment prior to release.

+1 improving the wicketstuff developer wiki with details on how the release process works (I'm volunteering)

Regards,

Mike

Id vote for this one:

modify the trunk
first for 1.4.7 fix the incompatibilities if there are, and then release
it as 1.4.7 and make trunk to follow 1.4-SNAPSHOT?

And if you like sonar, it's opensource and requires almost no setup it
has a fluent plugin with maven. For example theres a pretty good
integration between hudson, I could'nt find one for team city though
:/ But in theory it's just running the mvn command sonar:sonar..