From: Igor Vaynberg [mailto:igor.vaynb...@gmail.com]
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Sent: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:09:27 +0200
Subject: Re: What about an onInitialRender method ?

from Component.java in 1.5 (trunk)

   /**
    * Callback method invoked after the component was added to its
  parent AND you can walk up the
    * hierarchy up until the Page. That is, all parents must be have
  been added to their parents as
    * well. Add this point in time {...@link #getMarkup() getMarkup} is
  guaranteed to be available.
    * <p>
    * This method is guaranteed to called only once
    * </p>
    * <p>
    * If you don't like constructors to initialize your component, this
  is the method to use.
    * </p>
    */
   protected void onInitialize()
   {
   }

  -igor

  On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Joseph Pachod
  <josephpac...@thomas-daily.de> wrote:
  > hi
  >
  > The other day, I was busy creating reusable components. To make them
"safe", I used what I believe is a wicket good practices: adding the components
in onBeforeRender.

  > In fact, it's not just in onBeforeRender, it's rather :
  >        @Override
  >        protected void onBeforeRender() {
  >            if(!hasBeenRendered()){
  >                // actual code
  >            }
  >            super.onBeforeRender();
  >        }
  >
  > having done this stuff repeatedly, I felt a bit annoyed but these many   "
if(!hasBeenRendered())" and the brackets/indentations it brings.
  > Furthermore, on the few occasions I really needed something done on each
onBeforeRender, it brought clutter to the code.
  > Last but not least, recently, I was helping a wicket beginner and
explaining this "onBeforeRender/if(!hasBeenRendered)" wasn't the best moment I
had.

  > As such, I started to wonder if a simple "onInitialRender" method (or
similarly named) could be created ? It would run once and only once before the
first onBeforeRender.

  > onBeforeRender would then return to what it should really mean (but still
have this handy hasBeenRendered() method just in case).