I posted a few lines from the error, but here is the complete stack trace. My
initial searches on this pointed to a circular dependency caused by autowiring,
which may or may not be the case - when I removed the default-autowire
parameter from my beans node then the error changed to state that the bean
needs a sessionFactory (because I removed it.) So note sure if I took a step
forward or back.

If you are interested I created a sample project that produces the error, I can
zip it up and mail it to you (but dont want to spam the whole list with an
attachment...

Thanks
Steve

Stack Trace:

Apr 15, 2010 11:05:11 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of
class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name 'messageDao' defined in file
[/Users/scadmin/Downloads/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/webapps/wicketspringhibernateexample/WEB-INF/classes/com/informit/dao/HibernateMessageDaoImpl.class]:
 Unsatisfied dependency expressed through bean property 'sessionFactory': :
Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource
[applicationContext.xml]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through bean
property 'eventListeners': : Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager'
defined in class path resource [applicationContext.xml]: Cannot resolve
reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property
'sessionFactory'; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': FactoryBean which is currently in
creation returned null from getObject; nested exception is
[...]
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireByType(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1150)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1040)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:511)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:450)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:290)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:287)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:189)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:562)
    at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:871)
    at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:423)
    at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:272)
    at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:196)
    at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3934)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4429)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:526)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:850)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:724)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:493)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1274)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:296)
    at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1337)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1601)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1610)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1590)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException:
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.findAutowireCandidates(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:825)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:767)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:685)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireByType(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1134)
    ... 29 more
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'transactionManager' defined in class path resource
[applicationContext.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory'
while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': FactoryBean which is currently in
creation returned null from getObject
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:328)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:106)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1308)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1067)
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:754)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:685)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireByType(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1134)
    ... 40 more
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException:
Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': FactoryBean which is currently
in creation returned null from getObject
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.doGetObjectFromFactoryBean(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:157)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.getObjectFromFactoryBean(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:109)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getObjectForBeanInstance(AbstractBeanFactory.java:1387)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:244)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:189)
    at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:322)
    ... 53 more
Apr 15, 2010 11:05:11 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext