This is pretty easy to do. I added a veil to my page by implementing
IAjaxIndicatorAware, adding the method getAjaxIndicatorMarkupId() and
providing style definitions on the html side. Like this:

public class MyPage extends WebPage implements IAjaxIndicatorAware{
     public MyPage(){
              //Do what ever you need to do in your contructor
     }

    public String getAjaxIndicatorMarkupId() {
        return "veil";

                             z-index=99999;background-color:grey;
                             width:100%;height:100%;color:white;
                             opacity:0.4;filter:alpha(opacity=40)">
            <h1 style="position:absolute;top:25%;left:25%">Loading ...</h1>

Hope this helps,

Natalie