John,

See [1] and in particular the answer from Cemal (the one on Jun 16...)
That might answer part of your question.

Some time ago I have started [2], the implementation there is not that
complete yet but at least it could give you a starting point. And, of
course, patches and contributions are always welcome!

Best,

Ernesto

1-http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/wiQuery-components-with-server-side-state-live-demo-tc1842975.html#none
2-http://code.google.com/p/wiquery-plugins/source/browse/#svn/trunk/wiquery-plugins/jqgrid