I have a filter in web.xml file - however I did not set it up. At the
same time I've started to question the setup because I tried to deploy
a "clean" test app (by clean I mean new ear file for the test app and
no extra ear files and configuration - just a strip down example from
wicket's website) and I'm getting 404 trying to bring the application
up.

So the original application with problem is having 404 on ajax calls
but it will start up. Test app will not start up - shows 404 all the
time.

Is it a WAS setup issue?

Thanks,
Dave