Hi Andrea,
Thanks for your reply.
I call updateProcessedForms() AND THEN super.process(submittingComponent).
The reverse order to what it is shown on pg 49 on book. I described it wrong
on original post, I apologise. It is now corrected.

When calling createPerson Panel, I execute the following in order to create
new instance of person variables:
public CreatePersonPanel(String id, WebPage parentPage){
                super(id);
                setDefaultModel(new Model<Person>(new Person(new
PersonCreatedTimestamp()));
                add( new PersonForm( "personCreationForm", (IModel<Person>)
getDefaultModel() ) );
And for editing I do the following:

public CreatePersonPanel(String id, Long personId , WebPage parentPage){
        super( id, new LoadablePersonModel(personId) );
        this.parentPage = parentPage;
        add( new PersonForm( "personCreationForm", (IModel<Person>)
getDefaultModel() ) );

Inside the form, I get a copy of the default model object:
public EventForm(String id, IModel<Person> model) {
                        super(id, model);
                         person = (Person) this.getDefaultModel().getObject();
When submitting the form, I simply call the following service passing the
person object I extracted from the default model, as shown above:
WicketApplication.get().getPersons_service().savePerson(person);

The only place where I create a new instance of person is when I first call
the createPersonPanel.
I hope this helps. Thanks for looking into it.
Lucas