But when the event is processed, I'm not in an AjaxRequest.

Anyway, I have something working, now, I am able to update a version field
(by sending an inter-component event in the onBeforeRender() of the
ListView that has it's own Form; the Event is processed by another Form at
the top of the same Panel - that's where  the version field is), but I still
need an AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior - now at 3 seconds - to make the updates
visible for the user. That worries me, I would like to have an update
interval of a second, or even less, but I wonder if this is wise. My
solution now on the receiving side looks something like:

 add(new AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior(Duration.seconds(3)) {  // add to the Fom
        @Override
        public void onEvent(Component component, IEvent<?> event) {
            if (event.getPayload() instanceof ProcessReadyNotfication) {
                ==> Update VersionField
                super.onEvent(component, event);

        protected void onTimer(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
            // This can take up to 3 seconds!
            target.add(VersionField);
         }
    });

Of course, I would like something like:

@Override
        public void onEvent(Component component, IEvent<?> event) {
            if (event.getPayload() instanceof ProcessReadyNotfication) {
                ==> Update VersionField

                target.add(VersionField);
                super.onEvent(component, event);

But I don't have a AjaxRequestTarget there, and obtaining one by
AjaxRequestTarget.get() causes an IllegalStateException (As far as I can
remember).