After a bit more digging, I'm not sure I'll be able to use
IAjaxIndicatorAware at this time:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4257.  I have a few components
that currently use it, and we've noticed this issue as well.  For them,
it's simply an annoyance (the indicator graphic doesn't go away), but with
this Panel, it will be very problematic if the blocking div is not removed
properly.