I'm slowly making progress.

I see now that what Sven replied with goes in the pom.xml.

What I'm not sure of is if I still need a jar file or the source as
part of my project. I have made the update to my pom.xml, and I'm now
getting this error when I attempt to run my application:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/wicket/pageStore/memory/IDataStoreEvictionStrategy
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructor(Unknown Source)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime$2.run(Runtime.java:133)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime$2.run(Runtime.java:131)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime.newInstance(Runtime.java:130)
        at
org.apache.wicket.util.lang.WicketObjects.newInstance(WicketObjects.java:377)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.addInitializer(Application.java:577)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.load(Application.java:615)
        at
org.apache.wicket.Application.initializeComponents(Application.java:501)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.initApplication(Application.java:808)
        at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.init(WicketFilter.java:346)
        at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.init(WicketFilter.java:286)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:97)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:662)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1250)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:517)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:467)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
org.apache.wicket.pageStore.memory.IDataStoreEvictionStrategy
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)
        ... 35 more

Since gae-initializer did compile when I compiled with maven I also
tried simply putting the compile classes next to my other classes for
the deployment, but it still gives this error.

Thanks for all your help.

Daniel