I haven't been able to have much success with visualvm in that environment.
But a test I did do was create a wicket quickstart program, add appropriate
jars, remove the wicket label and replace it with a wicket form.

I then created a war, and deployed it to a new elastic beanstalk
environment.

I had the exact same environment failure within about 2 minutes.    Just to
note, a similar test with an unmodified quickstart program worked fine.

I can't afford more time on this any further at this point, unless there is
a simple change I am informed about.  Instead I am simply upgrading to
1.4.9.

Perhaps this is better taken as a heads up that there appears to be some
incompatibility issue introduced in 1.5 Form class.

thanks for your assistance.