Thanks for all the comments.

I'm implementing the conditional validation using a custom form processing
method as suggested by Andrea.

It's implemented as a form and behavior subclass. The overridden Form#process()
first visits all form components and executes a special method on the behavior.
The behavior then calls validate() on the source field and sets the required
flag of the target component based on the converted input value.

The call to validate() is needed in order to have the converted input value set.

Best regards,

Bob