Bingo! - it's the difference between *nix and Windows. When I change the
forward slashes to backslashes in the clirr ignored section's
<className> element it works - for Windows at least!! There's a good
chance that backslashes will probably break for *nix but even though I
have a machine with Linux available I don't have any build environments
set up on it yet.

<ignored>
        <difference>

<className>org\apache\wicket\feedback\FeedbackCollector</className>
        <method>*</method>
        <differenceType>7014</differenceType>
        </difference>
</ignored>

I tried replacing / with . but that failed also.

It seems like clirr has not been written in a 'directory separator'
agnostic way. Which is a pity as the most recent release seems to be in
2005 - so maybe the clirr devs aren't as active as with other projects.

setRecursive(boolean)'