It's just not efficient.

We have users that will let their pages sit for hours before they come back
to them.

I would rather have these sessions/memory be reclaimed, and if a user has a
stale page, the Ajax action continues on as normal.

We also have a sudo portal that contains applications contained in iframes -
most of them are wicket applications.

Depending on the # of iframes opened, ajax timers, this can cause issues
with the # of concurrent connections opened in the browser.

When I went through this in 1.4 to recreate the request, a lot of the issues
were related to the use of back button support and PageMaps, which most of
our applications have no use for.