We have a Web design team and a Java development team on our project. We're
using Wicket for our pages.

I know Wicket was designed to make it easy for designers and developers to
work together, but we're actually finding the opposite -- it's difficult to
communicate changes back and forth. We're finding that the developers
increasingly have their own code tree, and the designers their own.

As a result, for every major change, someone has to "translate" the
designer's change into the actual HTML that the developers are using, which
is not the same.

The developers sometimes break pages into subpages/Panels which doesn't get
communicated back to the designers, who are still working with their own
complete pages. Should designers be actually involved in Panel
restructuring? If so, how can they work with sub-pages? Should they use an
Include tag? If they need to demo or test something, should they actually
run the real app on the server, rather than work with their own set of HTML
files? Should they check their files into the "real" folders, or their
"sandbox" template folders?

The main issue has been Panels, but there are also some other tweaks the
developers are making to "make it work" while the designers aren't aware and
are working in their own sandbox.

Just wondering, what's the best practice, the way things are supposed to
work in Wicket?