Sorry, you're right, you have to add the behavior to the CheckGroup.

And you're right too that the CheckGroup will lose its selection from a previous paging. I'm afraid you'll have to implement your own solution with ChekBoxes and an AjaxFormComponentBehavior, managing the selected items in your own collection.

Sven