I take it you're using Wicket 6.x since the feedback messages have been
moved all the way to the Component's metadata rather than the session.
Hence the same component should be part of the page if you want to see its
feedback message.

See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migration-to-wicket-60.html#MigrationtoWicket6.0-FeedbackStorageRefactoring

Create a user session and register the messages against it:

@Override
public void onSubmit() {
    User user = service.authenticate(loginUser.getEmail(),
loginUser.getPassword().getClearText());
    if(user == null) {
        Session.get().error("Invalid login!"));
    else { // authentication okay
        setResponsePage(getApplication().getHomePage());

~ Thank you,
   Paul Bors