You mean setStatelessHint(true) should be enough to simulate that it is
stateless (and not setStatelessHint(false)), do you?
Actually we didn't care about whether a page is stateless or not as long as
they are bookmarkable.
After a while we've noticed, that stateful pages (with the page version id
appended) in connection with our special filter cause the problem with the
endless loop (no HTML session can be created) if the user does not allow
cookies in his browser or if a web crawler wants to index the site. This
problem came up with Wicket 1.5.7 or 1.5.8. After we did a migration to
Wicket 6 (version 6.7.0) the problem was gone and no page version id was
attached to the URLs anymore (as long as no form was submitted) and we
thought all will be fine. But with version 6.8.0 the problem came up again
and we were confused about that.
In summary, does this mean, we pages which should be indexed by web crawlers
can not be stateful?
I've found this discussion from an older thread
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Session-ids-and-search-engine-bots-tc1916506.html#a1916510
with exactly the same problem. And to be honest, I did not expect, that we
have to care about that. This should be handled by the web framework itself.
But from now on we have to keep an eye on whether our pages are stateless or
not.