I'm hoping to finalise wicket 7 somewhere before the summer. But I can't
guarantee that.

My reasoning:
 - I expect Wicket 8 to be Java 8 based (lambda expressions and the new
date/time APIs would make good additions to Wicket)
 - Wicket 8/Java 8 development should start when Java 8 is out and has good
availability in open source containers (wildfly already supports java 8)
 - we have to get comfortable with Java 8 idioms to make the correct
adjustments to Wicket, and this takes time
 - it takes a couple of months (2-5 ish) before we can finalise wicket 7
(solve issues, stabilise APIs)
 - I'd like to see the experimental modules we built in Wicket 6 to get
some adoption and give us some feedback before we make wicket 7 final. This
way we can fix API issues in the Wicket 7 modules (because semver).

>From a personal/commercial perspective it is best when we (Topicus) can
integrate Wicket 7 before the summer time so we can stabilise our apps
prior to  getting hammered by oodles of users.

Martijn




On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the estimated release date for Wicket 7? Why? In a couple of weeks I
> will start a new Wicket project and the estimated time to complete it is
> one month (at least for the initial release). I've thought maybe I could
> start it using current Wicket 7 and 1) provide feedback, 2) contribute to
> make wicket 7 stable 3) start migrating libraries I will use. But I would
> like to have my first release with an official version of Wicket 7. Is that
> too risky?
>
> --
> Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro
>



-- 
Become a Wicket expert, learn from the best: http://wicketinaction.com

Reply via email to