We found the simplest way to handle this situation was to let the HTML/CSS
folks design and style the page in pure HTML, no Wicket tags, with sample
data they made up.  They then committed their changes into the shared VCS.
 The designers Ive worked with in the past just didn't (or didn't want to)
understand the Wicket tags and their structure.  We spent way too much time
fixing broken markup because the designers thought it was ok to or they
didnt realize they were moving tags around. The designers also dont run
Java unit tests so you dont catch page rendering errors until the markup
changes hit the Java devs desktops. After several attempts at explaining in
what scenarios Wicket tags couldnt be moved we gave up and had them run a
page or two in front of the Java devs.  Converting plain HTML with sample
data into a Wicket page was far simpler and easier for the Java/Wicket
programmers than the other way around.

Your mileage may vary ;-)