I think the lesson here is that designers will never be programmers and
programmers will never be designers but each needs to have a little of
the other or the end result will be functionaly useless static web pages
(in the case of designers) or functional pages that look like a dogs
breakfast.

Surely this issue comes up in other web frameworks.  PHP for example.
That would be even more broken from a designer perspective.  I can't
imagine trying to import a php script into dreamweaver or any other
design tool?  If dreamweaver can't deal with componentized markup sets
something is seriously messed up.