I'm not sure there is a very clean solution.

When switching to edit mode, you could set the User's Job to a new Job
instance if it is null. You don't have to reattach/reassign any form
components if you simply update the AbstractEntityModel's object. I.e. you
either do
model.getModelObject().setJob(new Job())
or you do model.setModelObject(<user with non-null job>)

You will of course have to revert the job property back to null before
saving if all its properties are empty.

I would implement a Job#isEmpty() method to help me decide if I need to set
user.job to null before saving to the db.

Note you may also have to delete an existing Job record if the user goes
ahead and updates it's name to null.

Marios